Why everyone needs "Alone Time" a True Virtue

If you have read my book you surely recall the part where I explained what on earth I was doing all alone at my house in New Mexico so many many days for so those years. When people realized I went there alone some of them said "Cool", some of them asked if I was scared or bored or just looked at me like I was weird!! My Mom and Dad always taught my brother and I that alone time was important. We grew up on a farm so there was ALOT of alone time!! When I had my own children I taught them the same thing. You must learn to be comfortable in your own skin and enjoy your own company to have balance. I knew when I started my healing journey that it all started with being alone.

So here is what I learned:

  • You find solace in solitude
  • You tune into your thoughts
  • It centers you 
  • It allows you to listen to your intuition
  • It almost guarantees that you won't stay in an unhealthy relationship because you aren't afraid of being alone 
  • Your creativity will skyrocket
  • It gives you confidence
  • It is the best time to connect with the Devine!!
  • It calms your frustrations
Here are some ways to be successful at being alone:

  • Mark it on your calendar-make a date with yourself
  • start small, like eat lunch at a restaurant alone, go to a movie alone, then an afternoon alone, then perhaps a  weekend
  • Be prepared to feel uncomfortable at first being alone with your thoughts  
  • you may feel bored or scared at first-this will pass
  • Don't over commit to things so you can take this time (I am bad at this one)
  • Treat yourself to something you love, a book, a long bath, a long walk, gardening, shopping, a sporting event
  • Remember that others will take all of you if you let them. 
Being a martyr or overly busy is very unattractive and egotistical as well as annoying. Although my old self used to think........ Taking care of everyone else before myself... well that is a "virtue"
Taking "Me time" is self-nurturing and sets a good example for others in your life. It says this, "I am important enough to care for. Now THAT is a true "VIRTUE"

Comments